Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
Cinnamon streusel coffee cake is a classic cake paired with a cup of coffee, a foamy latte, or tea. Makes for the perfect breakfast or evening dessert.
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake Tips
The cake – The butter and full-fat sour cream plays an important role in making this coffee cake. If you use low fat or fat-free the cake will not hold its shape. Full fat plain Greek yogurt can be a substitute for the sour cream. Greek yogurt contains less fat and calories compared to sour cream.
The streusel – What is a coffee cake without the streusel? Usually made with pecans you can also use walnuts or leave out any nuts completely.
Half of the streusel is usually layered in the middle of the cake batter but you can also create a sugar and cinnamon mixture for the middle filling.
The glaze – Dress up your coffee cake with a simple glaze of powdered sugar, milk, and a pinch of vanilla.
How to make coffee cake
Ingredients – All of your ingredients should be room temperature for the best results.
Mix – Be sure not to over mix. You can easily make this cake without a stand mixer.
Pan – Grease your pan with butter. Use a springform pan or use parchment paper in the pan if you don’t plan to serve it out of the pan.
Bake – Bake for 55 minutes or until dark golden brown around the edges. You can test if the coffee cake is done by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If it comes out clean then it is done.
If you notice halfway through that the cake is browning too quickly at the top, cover it with a piece of foil.
Let it cool – Let the cake cool for at least 20 minutes and up to 45 minutes before glazing.
How to store homemade coffee cake
This cake will keep well covered and at room temperature for 2-3 days. It can be covered and refrigerated for 3-5 days.
Coffee cake actually has no coffee in the cake. It’s known as coffee cake simply because it pairs well with a cup of coffee!
Cinnamon Streusel Coffee Cake
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ½ cup butter unsalted, melted
- 1 ½ cup sour cream
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter unsalted, melted
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ½ cup pecans, finely chopped optional
- ½ cup powdered sugar sifted
- 1 tbsp milk
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Whisk the flour, sugar, salt, and cinnamon evenly together. Pour in the melted butter and mix until combined. It should be crumbly. Add in your pecans if you wish to use them. Set aside in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat oven 350°F and grease your pan
- In a medium bowl sift or whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, allspice, and salt.
- In a different bowl mix the sugar, melted butter, eggs, sour cream, and vanilla until well combined. Then add in the dry ingredients until evenly mixed but be careful not to over mix.
- Pour in half of the batter into your pan and sprinkle on half of the streusel. Pour the remaining batter on top and evenly spread it out, then sprinkle on the rest of the streusel.
- Bake for 45 – 55 minutes or until cake is done. Test by inserting a toothpick in the middle. If you notice that it's browning too quickly cover with foil.
- Let the cake cool for at least 30 minutes
- Drizzle with glaze if you desire and let it set then serve