Healthy Apple Crisp
This healthy apple crisp recipe is a perfect fall treat. Naturally sweetened, gluten-free, and delicious! Ready just under an hour and pairs amazing with ice cream!
What makes this apple crisp healthy?
Usually, apple crisp is made with butter, sugar, and all-purpose flour but for this recipe we will be using some healthier alternatives that will still leave this apple crisp tasty!
Healthy apple crisp ingredients:
Maple Syrup – Using maple syrup or honey instead of regular sugar allows this recipe to still have a sweetness to it but naturally.
Coconut oil – Instead of using butter, I used coconut oil for this recipe but you can also use avocado oil.
Old Fashioned oats – using oats is much healthier than using all-purpose flour which is high fiber.
Nuts – Include a good source of healthy fats like pecans or walnuts (optional)
How to make healthy apple crisp
Making apple crisp is super easy to make and takes just under an hour. Trust me its worth it!
Begin by peeling, coring, and slicing your apples. Any type of apple will work well for this recipe.
You could even add in other fruit or sub the apples for blueberries or raspberries for a berry crisp dessert.
Next, toss the apples in the coconut oil and cinnamon then pour into your baking dish.
In a medium bowl combine the oats, old fashioned oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, walnuts or pecans, honey or maple syrup, and 2 tablespoons coconut oil. Mix until combined.
Sprinkle evenly on top of the apples.
Bake for 35-45 minutes until the crust is golden brown and the apples are bubbling.
Serving your healthy apple crisp
Firstly, even though this apple crip is healthy it tastes amazing on its own while still nice and warm.
But if you did want to boost the flavors then definitely add a scoop of your fav ice cream on top or some whipped cream. I won’t tell if you use both. I love mine this way, sooo good!
Another way to enjoy this apple crisp is to add it to some yogurt. This is a great way to snack on something healthy. It also makes for a nice breakfast when you want something sweet but not filled with sugar.
The apple crisp should stay fresh for 3-4 days refrigerated.
Healthy Apple Crisp
- 4 cups apples cored, peeled (optional), sliced into thick pieces
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or coconut oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp ginger
- ⅓ cup walnuts or pecans; finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350° and grease your baking dish
- Peel, core, and slice your apple.
- Mix the melted avocado oil (or coconut oil) with the apples and cinnamon.
- In a new bowl mix the crips topping.
- Add the apples to your pan and then pour the crisp mixture evenly over the apples.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake for 20 mins. Remove the foil and bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and apples are bubbling.
- Let the apple crisp rest for 10 minutes before serving