Healthy Homemade Granola (Gluten-Free)
Healthy homemade granola is perfect for breakfast with yogurt and fruit or great on its own for a healthy midday snack.
Making homemade granola is easier than you may think. You really only need one bowl and a few ingredients you probably already have sitting in your pantry.
Healthy homemade granola ingredients
Oats – I used gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats, they are great to use for baking compared to quick oats. Oats are healthy for your heart, whole-grain, and hearty.
Nuts and Seeds for granola – In this granola recipe, I used pecans, sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, and pepitas (green pumpkin seeds). Feel free to add your favorite seeds and nuts to your granola like; walnuts, peanuts, cashews, pistachios, macadamia nuts, flax seeds, sesame seed, chia seeds and more.
Natural Sweetener – Instead of using refined sugar I used pure maple syrup for a naturally sweet flavor. You can also easily use honey to give your granola a naturally sweet taste as well.
Oil – I used avocado oil for my granola. You may also use coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil. I have an article that talks about which oils are better to cook with.
Spice it up – If your adding seeds to your granola make sure they are not salted or the granola will be salty! Look for unsalted on the packaging.
Next, I added cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, and just a bit of salt.
Extra, Extra – Add some shredded coconut midway while the granola is baking or add some chocolate chips when the granola cools down. You can even throw in some dried fruit!
What to eat with granola
Here are some of my favorite ways to enjoy granola:
- On its own – Granola is super tasty on its own. A great way to snack throughout the day on a healthy treat!
- With nut butter – Add your favorite nut butter to a slice of toast and throw some sweet granola on top for some crunch.
- Apple slices – Spread your favorite nut butter on apple slices and stick some granola on them for a sweet and crunchy snack.
- Cereal – Simply use the granola as a healthy cereal option. Add some fruit and enjoy!
- In oatmeal – I love oatmeal with some crunch to it. Add in some granola and try it out.
- Yogurt and fruit – Enjoy a healthy breakfast with homemade granola, yogurt, and your favorite fruit. I love it with a banana and fresh blueberries.
Healthy Homemade Granola (Gluten Free)
- 4 cups old fashioned rolled oats gluten-free
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup avocado oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup pumpkin and sunflower seeds unsalted
- ½ cup almonds slivered
- pinch of nutmeg optional
- Preheat oven 350°
- In a large bowl pour in your oats, almonds, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, and salt
- In another medium bowl mix together your oil, vanilla extract, and maple syrup
- Pour over the dry mixture of nuts and oats and mix well
- Lay the granola mixture out evenly on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes then toss the mixture and bake for another 15 minutes or until lightly golden brown
- Enjoy with yogurt and fruit or on its own as a yummy snack! Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.