Homemade Avocado Salsa Verde
Authentic spicy Mexican salsa verde with a hint of avocado. Easy to make in a blender and goes great with tacos, tortilla chips, and more!
Salsa verde is a spicy sauce used in Mexican cuisines. I have recently been trying a lot of Mexican dishes because my fiancé is Mexican and Colombian and loves authentic Spanish food. Since being exposed to all these new Mexican dishes, it’s now one of my favorites cuisines!
This salsa verde is a little unique because I decided to add avocado to the mix for a creamier texture. Tomatillos have a tart flavor but roasting them will give them a nice sweet flavor so you don’t want to skip this step.
Tomatillos look like green tomatoes but they are actually not tomatoes, and also know as the Mexican husk tomato. Tomatillos are used in many Mexican dishes. I also used them as a sauce in my chicken taquito recipe.
How to make avocado salsa verde
Don’t worry about chopping too much because the blender will do all the work for you. This is why making homemade salsa verde is super easy. Just be sure to remove the skin and seed from the avocado, and any stems on the tomatillos/peppers.
Now add the tomatillos, garlic, onion, lime juice, avocado, serrano, cilantro, and water to your blender or food processor until it’s nice and smooth. Taste and add a pinch of salt or more peppers if you like it a bit more spicy.
How to store homemade avocado salsa verde
This sauce can last 3 to 5 days if stored in an airtight container and refrigerated.
Enjoy with chips, tacos, taquitos, and more!
More Mexican dishes you’ll love:
- Authentic Chicken taquitos
- 4 Ingredient Chiptole mayo
- Chicken tacos with black bean and corn
- Easy Homemade taco seasoning
- 4 large tomatillos chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup white onion slightly chopped
- 1 avocado peeled and seeded
- 10-12 sprigs cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 serrano pepper or jalapeño pepper – less heat
- pinch of salt add more if you like
- 1/4 cup water
- Roast tomatillos for 10 minutes or until tomatillos start to brown on top. *Careful blending hot food*
- Combine all ingredients into a blender. Mix until smooth and creamy texture.
- Taste and season with extra salt or cilantro if needed
- Enjoy! Refrigerate up to 5 days