Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup (Vegan)
Mushroom and wild rice soup is creamy, comforting, and vegan friendly. Easy to make with pantry staples you already have – everyone will be asking for more!
Looking for a soup that’s warm, hearty, creamy and good for you? This mushroom and wild rice soup is loaded with fresh veggies and greens and delicious.
Ingredients for Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
Veggies: onion, carrots, celery. This is the base of the soup and garlic of course.
Flour: Thickens up the soup and adds to the creaminess. I used whole wheat flour, free free to use any flour you like or none at all for a thinner soup. Make it gluten-free by using gluten-free flour*
Veggie stock: I used veggie stock to keep this recipe vegan friendly but you can use chicken or beef, etc.
Wild rice blend: I used a long grain and wild rice blend that came seasoned already. You can definitely just use wild rice or any rice you love.
Mushrooms: I love mushrooms! I used baby Bella mushrooms, use your favorites.
Chickpeas: I used one can of chickpeas for this recipe but you can omit them.
Rosemary, bay leaves, and parsley: These bring more flavor to the soup. I used dried rosemary and my rice was already seasoned with parsley.
Milk: I used almond milk but feel free to use any plant-based milk you prefer.
Greens: I threw in some baby spinach
Salt and pepper: Top it off with salt and pepper
How to store creamy mushroom soup
This soup keeps well in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and can be frozen for 2-3 months.
Mushroom and Wild Rice Soup
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or butter
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 2-3 carrots diced
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 6 cups veggie stock
- 1 can chickpeas
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms diced
- 1 cup wild rice or rice
- 1 tablespoon rosemary chopped finely
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups plant based milk
- 2 handfuls spinach
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon parsley if rice not seasoned – see note below
- Heat 2 tablespoons of cooking oil or butter over medium-high heat in a large pot. Add in the diced onions and saute for about 4 minutes. Next add in the celery, carrots, and garlic. Saute 3-4 minutes then add in the flour and stir it around for another minute.
- Pour in the veggie stock, rosemary, chickpeas, mushrooms, wild rice, bay leaves, and parsley if the rice is not seasoned
- Bring the soup to a simmer and reduce the heat to maintain it. Stir the soup every 5- 10 minutes so nothing burns at the bottom. Cook for a total of 30 minutes or until wild rice is tender.
- Add the plant-based milk and spinach and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!