Soft Homemade Dinner Rolls
Easy soft homemade dinner rolls that are perfect for any occasion. No one will be able to resist these warm rolls fresh from the oven.
After making homemade dinner rolls you will never want to go back to store-bought again. This recipe is so easy and delicious!
You will start by mixing your yeast into warm milk and water, with 1 tablespoon of sugar and salt. Let this mixture sit until it starts to foam at the top.
In your bowl mixer beat the butter and 2 tablespoons of sugar together and egg. Now add some of the all-purpose flour and mix. Continue to add flour until a ball of dough forms. Mix for another 3 minutes to knead the dough.
Now lightly oil a large bowl, cover it with plastic wrap or a towel and let the dough rise for an hour or until it doubles in size.
Now after the dough has doubled in size, divide the dough into small balls. I just rolled each piece into a small ball and placed them into the dish. They do not have to be perfect but you can definitely weigh these to make them into the perfect shape. As you can see mine are nowhere near perfect.
Now cover the dinner roll dough balls and let them rise for about 30 minutes up to an hour.
I also put some of the leftover dough into a small cast iron.
The dough for the dinner rolls have finally risen and are ready to pop into the oven.
Bake the dinner rolls for about 15 to 20 minutes or until you see they are golden brown at the top. For the cast iron, I had to cover it halfway through with a piece of foil because it was browning too quickly. If you notice your dinner rolls browning too quickly just cover with foil to slow it down.
Finish by brushing some butter on top of these homemade dinner rolls and share them with your friends and family. This is a perfect recipe to make around the holiday season.
Soft Homemade Dinner Rolls
- Blender / Stand mixer
- ½ cup whole milk at 110° – 115° F
- ½ cup water at 110° – 115° F
- 1 pack active dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar divided
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter room temperature cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- Whisk warmed milk, water, salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and yeast together in a bowl. Let the mix sit for 5 mins or until it's foamy on top.
- With your mixer beat the butter and 2 tablespoon of sugar together. Add in the egg and beat together.
- Pour in yeast mixture and gradually add the flour until a ball of dough forms. Mix for about 3 minutes
- Let the dough rise by lightly oiling a large bowl and make sure the dough is covered in oil as well so it doesn't stick. Just rub the dough on the sides of the bowl to get some oil.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm area for about 1 hour or until the dough has doubled in size.
- Once the dough is ready punch it down. Take it out of the bowl and cut it into small pieces
- Shape them into little balls by hand. Grease your baking dish and place the dough balls into the dish. You can also line with parchment paper or use a cast iron.
- Cover again with plastic wrap and let them rise once more until puffy, this should take 30 mins – 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. If you see that they are browning too quickly just cover with a piece of foil.
- Now that they are done brush with butter, let cool, and enjoy!